Nature of business, major products and services
Eskom was established in South Africa in 1923 as the Electricity Supply Commission. In July 2002, it was converted into a public, limited liability company, wholly owned by government.
Eskom is one of the top 20 utilities in the world by generation capacity (net maximum self-generated capacity: 41 194MW). Eskom generates approximately 95% of the electricity used in South Africa and approximately 45% of the electricity used in Africa. Eskom directly provides electricity to about 45% of all end-users in South Africa. The other 55% is resold by redistributors (including municipalities).
Value chain of Eskom
Eskom has approved and committed to:
The completion of the Kusile power station in 2017/18 will constitute the last stage of Eskomís committed capacity expansion programme. There has been no approval or commitment to any capacity expansion projects after that.
Eskom in Africa
While most of Eskomís business is within South Africa, the company also buys and sells electricity in the SADC region. Eskomís involvement in African markets beyond South Africa is currently focused on projects that have a direct impact on ensuring a secure supply of electricity for South Africa itself. Eskom is investigating additional opportunities in the SADC region.
Eskom Enterprises SOC Limited has two subsidiaries, Rotek Industries SOC Limited and Roshcon SOC Limited, with an interest in electricity operation and maintenance concessions in Mali, Senegal, Mauritania and Uganda.
1.Southern African Development Community countries connected to the South African grid, and countries in the rest of Africa.
2.Originally under the Electricity Act (41 of 1987) and more recently under the Electricity Regulation Act (4 of 2006).
3.Under the National Nuclear Regulatory Act (47 of 1999).