Acacia Power Station
ACACIA POWER STATION
Location: The station is situated on the outskirts of the city of Cape Town in the Western Cape.
Employees: Thirteen (13) employees.
- Three 57MW gas turbine engines. Installed capacity: 171MW
- Design efficiency at rated turbine MCR (%): 30.30%
- Average availability over last 3 years: 99.09%
- Average production over last 3 years: 0.15GWh
The station was constructed in 1976, and has three gas turbine generators, which are similar to Boeing 707 engines. The first unit was commissioned on 1 March 1976, making the station 26 year old.
General: Acacia provides back-up electrical supply to Koeberg Nuclear Power Station, something which is a Council for Nuclear Safety licensing requirement.
The station can be operated by remote control from Eskom's National Control Centre at Simmerpan to provide back-up and black-start capability.
- Switchboard Tel: (021) 588-7266
- Power station manager: Phil Khumalo