Grantees are free to spend their allocated funds within the following categories:
The categories towards which the two programmes will jointly contribute are indicated in brackets.
- Research studentships (TESP)
- Salaries for support staff (associated with a project) (TESP, THRIP)
- Running expenses (e.g. glassware, chemicals, consumables) (TESP, THRIP)
- Local and overseas travel (TESP). Overseas travel must be approved by Eskom's technical directors. THRIP funds are only available for local travel
- Research equipment (TESP, THRIP)
- Student support and supplementation of bursaries (TESP)
- Sponsorship of visits by overseas experts (TESP, THRIP)
- Sufficient funds should be reserved to attend the applicable FRD/ESKOM forums within the programme discipline (TESP, THRIP)
The following additional items will currently not be considered for THRIP subvention of industries support:
- Establishment of chairs and/or salaries for the tertiary institution's staff
- Bridging facilities
- Promotion of enterpreneurship
- Travels abroad
The grant is subject to the grantee holding a full-tine permanent or a full-time temporary position within a South African university or technikon which is funded entirely from that organisation's funds.
Grants are subject to a maximum handling fee of 2% if any.
Benefits of intellectual property shall remain with the tertiary institution. Eskom must be consulted before joint ventures or commercialisation of intellectual property are established and can be granted the opportunity to participate in such joint ventures or commercialisation.
Coordination of research
ESKOM will appoint a technical director who will be responsible for liaison with each grantee. The renewal of the grant will be subject to a recommendation by the technical director.
Each grantee must submit a short annual progress report (2-3 pages) through the university/technikon by 31 July and an extensive progress report (maximum of 10 pages) after three years.
Period of Allocation:
Grants for tertiary education support programmes are given for a predetermined period subject to the availability of funds. However ESKOM and FRD reserve the right to terminate a grant at any stage if performance is unsatisfactory.
Should the research leader leave the system, ESKOM must be informed within 30 days and funding will only proceed if ESKOM and the FRD are satisfied that the project would be continued to the same extent and at the same level by the alternate research leader.
ESKOM requires every grant holder to maintain the highest ethical and safety standards when conducting research, particularly when human and animal subjects are involved. However, it remains the sole responsibility of the grant holder to comply with all relevant regulations in this respect, including those laid down by the institution concerned.
Annual financial reports on expenditure incurred up to 31 December of the year of the grant must be submitted by the institution by 15 February of the following year.
ESKOM/FRD will provide details on the format of financial reports. The FRD requires an auditor's report verifying the figures in the financial report by 31 March. No further payments will be made by FRD until this report has been received.