Click here to check your schedule
Prepare yourself by doing the following:
- Keep your cell phone fully charged when the power is on.
- Make sure your vehicle/s have fuel in the tank - petrol stations cannot pump fuel during power outages.
- Access, security and safety always remain a top priority.
- Release your automatic electric garage door mechanisms so that you can gain access to your property during a power outage.
- Switch your electric security gates to ‘’manual’’ to avoid being either locked out of or in your home.
Keep a battery-powered torch in a place where it will be easy to find in the dark – make sure you have an extra set of fresh batteries.
Keep a small torch on bedside table at all times - make sure you have an extra set of fresh batteries.
Invest in a small LP gas lamp for good quality lighting over a large area.
Keep boiled water in thermos flasks for hot drinks during a power outage.
Prepare meals beforehand in case of a power outage.
Keep a stock of essential tinned foods and snacks that do not need refrigeration – preserved foods are easy alternatives when you were not able to prepare a meal beforehand.
Invest in a small LP gas heating ring for essential cooking and to boil water for hot drinks - make sure you have an extra bottle of gas
Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed at all times – a power outage of four hours should not cause food spoilage and a freezer should keep food frozen and safe for at least a day.
Most medication that needs refrigeration can be kept in a closed fridge for several hours without spoiling – it is essential that you check with your doctor or pharmacist to be sure about your type of medication.
Back to residential page