Instantaneous Demand Response Programme
Load Providers contracted to respond to a fall in national system frequency cause by a sudden change in the balance between supply and demand. The purpose of Instantaneous Reserve is to arrest the national system frequency at acceptable limits following a contingency, for example a generator trip. Load Providers must respond fully within 6 seconds and must be sustained for at least 10 minutes.
What is offered?
Eskom will compensate customers who qualify to participate and are able to:
- Reduce load within 6 seconds of notifications; and
- Sustain this reduction for a maximum of three events per day for a duration of 10 minutes per event
The minimum load entry of 10MW
- Load Providers scheduled a day ahead are dispatched instantaneously (<6sec) on the day (when the network frequency reaches a pre-set level) for a maximum of 10 minutes thus assisting the system operator to arrest possible frequency decline.
- 3 x 10 min/day events, average 200 on target events per annum
- Special metering requirements are necessary.
- Load Providers are paid a standby payment, but no energy payment.
Meet with an Eskom representative at your premises to facilitate your participation.
Sign a standard legal agreement with Eskom
Register as an Eskom vendor (if you are a non-Eskom customer) that will enable you to receive payments