Drakensberg pumped storage scheme
Welcome to the world of electricity
The Visitor Centre offers you a peek into what happens behind the switch. Informative presentations are given in a well-equipped auditorium and include the generation of power at the Drakensberg Pumped Storage Scheme, the transfer of water across the escarpment and the care taken to conserve the environment.
Did you know that?
- The power station is built 50 storeys underground
- The turbines are reversible Francis-type pump-turbines i.e. they can generate and pump
- Drakensberg can generate electricity within 2,5 minutes
- Can supply 150 000 urban households with 1000MW
- Only visible part of the station is the link yard
- 70 000 litres of water per second turns the turbine at a speed of 375 revolutions per minute
- 1 330 000 tons of rock was excavated to build the roads and dam walls
- Transfers water to the Sterkfontein Dam
About guided tours
Visitors Centre hours
Monday - Thursday: 07:00 to 16:00
Friday: 07:00 to 12:00
Guided tours are conducted as follows:
Monday to Thursday: 09:00 and 13:00
Friday at 09:00 only
- Duration: around two hours
- Booking is essential
- Tours and are free of charge.
A maximum of 60 persons per group.
- Identification is needed (ID/passport/license)
- All visitors must wear flat and closed shoes e.g. takkies, walking shoes
- Presentations can be adapted to meet the needs of the specific group.
- Special requests can be considered.
- Directions are available on request.
Located off the R74
Ellias Ngwenya or Bheki Mlaba
Tel: +27 36 438 2088/2089